GGGGGRRRRRRROHL (sexy grr) has made a film…and a superband band! In the lead up to Sundance (which is coming back to the UK again; rejoice!), the announcement snuck it’s way into the back pages of the newspaper…
…and the front page of every music magazine on earth.
Sexy Grohl finally announced his sexy secret superband Sound City Players, made up of the main musicians and special guests who star in the film. The band debuts at the Sundance film festival, no less, on the 18th January at Park City, Utah. Sound City Players will be performing accompanying all his sexy film premieres, apparently* (*read on; please note ‘sexy’ just happens to preface everything as I type. Honest.).
So I got you in the loop: here’s the full movie soundtrack (they’ve called him Joshua on it?!):
01. Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes, and Robert Levon Been – ‘Heaven And All’
02. Brad Wilk, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Tim Commerford – ‘Time Slowing Down’
03. Dave Grohl, Rami Jaffee, Stevie Nicks, and Taylor Hawkins – ‘You Can’t Fix This’
04. Dave Grohl, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Rick Springfield, and Taylor Hawkins – ‘The Man That Never Was’
04. Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Lee Ving, Pat Smear, and Taylor Hawkins – ‘Your Wife Is Calling’
06. Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, and Scott Reeder – ‘From Can To Can’t’
07. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – ‘Centipede’
08. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – ‘A Trick With No Sleeve’
09. Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, and Pat Smear – ‘Cut Me Some Slack’
10. Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Jim Keltner, and Rami Jaffee – ‘Once Upon A Time… The End’
11. Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, and Trent Reznor – ‘Mantra’
While a birdie tells me there’ll be bonus tracks and singles, this is the confirmed movie song list.
Cue the excited screams and intakes of breath ACROSS THE WORLD!
And exhale aaaa-phhwwooooaaarrrr.
In case you haven’t seen the trailer, observe:
Sound City is a talking heads and archive documentary to be released everywhere from Dave’s new film label Roswell Films (partner of his record label Roswell Records) on the 1st of Februrary, and is directed by Dave Grohl.
News came out in May last year, but no details were confirmed as to release dates.
All we knew was that Dave was interviewing some total legends about something in California and Seattle….and then bam! Dave said: “Sound City is a film about America’s greatest unsung recording studio.”
“Deep in California’s sun-burnt San Fernando Valley, tucked away behind the train tracks and dilapidated warehouses, it was the birthplace of legend. It was witness to history. It was home to a special few, intent on preserving an ideal.”
The film honours a studio in which Nirvana’s Nevermind was recorded in….as well as Johnny Cash, Guns ‘n’ Roses, Pat Bennatar, Nine Inch Nails….the list is ASTONISHING. Here’s the cast.
And here’s some Josh Homme from the film. Mmmmmm.
Yesterday’s announcement of the Sound City Players superband was a nice surprise – but when you think about it, IT’S A CLASSIC DAVE GROHL SMOOTH MOVE, KIDS. Only it wasn’t a text message sent to the cool kids at Leeds & Reading festivals.
The line-up hasn’t been confirmed, but I’m definitely odds on for Josh Homme, Trent Reznor, Alan Johannes, Chris Gross, Rick Springfield and Taylor Hawkins… and everyone else who’s on the soundtrack, duh. This could well mean special guest appearances from Paul McCartney too, simply because there is no stopping that man.
In December, Rolling Stone got the interview with the bearded man demi god himself. Dave said he hoped that most screenings would have a performance to go with them. “After each premiere we could have a show with musicians,” he said. “They’d not only play music from the film, but from their catalogs as well. We could do it in a Hammerstein or Roseland and pack the bill with the coolest bands in the world .
“We aren’t far away from this. Pretty soon, everyone will hear what our big plan is. We’ve been planning it for a long fucking time.”
Get your tickets for Sundance London now, UK readers. US readers: you know what to do. Everyone else: patience. it’s always rewarded…somehow (WORLD TOUR COUGH COUGH…What?).